I’m going to tell you the secret about affiliate marketing and you’re probably not going to be happy. The secret is there IS NO SECRET. When I figured this out this made me actually happy. Why did this make me happy? Because it means that anyone can learn to do it. It isn’t just for the “in” crowd rolling in their money because they are an advanced hacker. There may not be any machine you can buy to print you money, but there are some very valuable tools out there that gives you the leg up. Affiliate marketing is not for everyone, in fact, it is not for most. Here’s a checklist of stuff you should read before you venture into internet marketing.
Make sure you are the right person for affiliate marketing
- Be prepared to work a lot. All the big time people I’ve talked to and met in internet marketing work hard for their tons of money. Similar to like Investment Bankers. They make a lot of money, but they work very hard. They are checking their phones like every 5 minutes.
- Can you handle delayed gratification? This means you will work hard on a project now and it may or may not pay out. And if it does pay out, it might be like 3-4 months down the line.
- Are you good at self motivation. This ties into the working a lot. You will need to motivate yourself.
- Treat affiliate marketing like a business. If you want to succeed, you got to put out quality work and and be willing to spend some money. The amount of money you need compared to a conventional business will be significantly lower, but you don’t want to start with nothing.
- Prepare to spend money. You may think you can start with nothing, and you can, but if you do, you have to work EVEN harder. If you try to do everything yourself, you might get discouraged down the line as it will take you longer and quit.
- DON’T QUIT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Affiliate marketing is like a workout plan. You can’t just buy p90x and expect a six-pack. You got to workout 6 out of 7 days a week and follow a strict diet plan. Don’t give up and you will succeed.
Ok, if you’re not scared away by now, here are some tips to getting started.
- Join a program. I’m part of Bring the Fresh and I have no regrets about joining. The reason you want to join a program is, if you’re serious about trying affiliate marketing, you need to keep up with the latest trends. These specialized forums are great places for cutting edge information. There is less misinformation because it is a paid forum and the bad spammers are locked out.
- Check out my guide to affiliate marketing. It is kinda high level and you may need to google a lot of terms to understand it.
- Check out my suggested software and backlinking ideas when it’s time to market your website.
- Do your research to minimize getting scammed. Affiliate marketers walk a fine line very close to spammers. There is a distinction, but you got to watch out for scams. I guess everyone on the internet has to look out for scams.