On page SEO is about optimizing your website to be as SEO friendly as possible to make you website as appealing as possible to Google and other search engines. Off page SEO is ranking factors outside your site, primarily other sites who link to you.
The Fundamental SEO Rule
“The key thing to remember about on page seo is to make your site organized, relevant, and user friendly as possible.”
Although it sounds like we are optimizing our website to make it as friendly as possible to Google, what google is doing is trying to detect is which websites are the most friendly and useful to USERS. People who do short term seo to “trick” google into thinking they are a relevant website for a given keyword may see an initial boost, but after periodic google ranking updates, those “tricks” can become a penalty for your site. One example of this is keyword stuffing. Keyword stuffing is a practice of putting in your keyword a bunch of times on your website to make it appear to be relevant to that keyword. If you were to read an article that does keyword stuffing you would realize it wounds terrible. Originally it worked great as google bots are really unable to read a website’s content as a human would. But now the google bots are smarter and recognize that if a keyword appears too much in regards to the other content on the page, it will read unnaturally and be flagged as spammy.
On Page SEO Checklist
- Page Titles that are relevant, enticing, and unique. (<title>My Title</title>) for EVERY page on your website. Do not duplicate titles on different pages!
- Meta Description Tags that are relevant, enticing, and unique. (<meta content=’my description to my page’ name=’description’>) for EVERY page on your website.
- Meta Keyword Tags that are relevant to your page.
- Keyword In Your URL. If your page is about SEO optimization, make sure the permanent URL for that page has the term “seo optimization” in the URL
- Heading Tags like H1, H2, H3 tags. H1 is the most important and relevant to the content on the page and so on.
- Work the keyword(s) your are trying to optimize for in the above areas, without Keyword Stuffing
- Unique content is the only stuff that is going to rank. You can’t just take an article you found and rank it better than the original writer.
- No Follow outbound links to keep your website from giving authority (link juice) to others, unless you want it to.
- Speed Up Load Time. You can use a plugin such as WP Super Cache to cache your website and use a fast reliable host such as HostGator.
- Keyword Density and LSI Keywords. If you have a well written and relavant post, you don’t have to worry about this. Basically don’t under or over do keyword density and same for LSI keywords.
- Too Many Ads can hurt your page. Adsense is limited to 3 ads per page, but you can add more non adsense ads. The thing is if you add to many, especially above the fold, it can hurt your rankings.
There are a ton of other SEO factors that may come into play, but these are the most important that i’ve outlined. A lot of smaller SEO thing are already accomplished if you use a platform such as wordpress because the way wordpress handles, links to, and organizes the internal pages are already optimized.